Apr 9, 2011

Isle Roatan, Honduras

Next stop was an island off Honduras, Isle Roatan. We didn't stay long on it, because we were quickly taken away to another private island, Maya Key. You can walk around the entire Maya Key island in about 20 minutes, but there is tons to do here and it was a great day.


The welcoming area to Isle Roatan.


The rest of the pictures are from Maya Key. They had replicas of the Copan ruins to walk through.








Wild island rabbits. Funniest rabbit I have seen.




The island is home to an animal Rehabilitation and Rescue Center. All of the animals have been rescued as pets or hurt in some way. It was probably the best center that I have seen. Countless birds, a few big cats and other little animals. Sad to see all the former pets here, but people need to realize parrots and other similar birds will most likely out live you. Then what happens?


An ocelot pawing at Nikki.




The margay looked almost like a house cat.







The male jaguar was basically a domesticated pet at one time. He really hammed it up to the crowd.


Farmers tried to torture and kill this poor anteater. After seeing one in Costa Rica last year and now this one, I think I have to add them to my list of favorite animals.



The female jaguar seemed like she wanted to play or maybe eat me or my camera. Wish I wouldn't had jumped back when she lunged at the camera and the fence. But I was about 2 feet from her.



The other part of the island was the beach area. Nice, relaxing area and the snorkeling around the reef area was amazing. Some said it was the best they had ever done, but I don't have much to compare it to. I did see tons of small colorful fish though.





The airport was right over our island. Took a bit to get used to seeing planes land.



0 comments: