Apr 5, 2011

Belize

The second day of our stops dropped us in Belize City, Belize. Well a short boat ride into the port. At times, I realize how sheltered I am. I didn't know that Belize was as poor as it is, only 300,000 people or the size of Massachusetts. But that is why we take these trips, to learn something new.


I was expecting Belize to be more developed for some reason or I guess larger commercial buildings. Funny how your expectations turn out.



The below pitcure might have been the highlight of the 90 minute bus ride into the jungle. Ha. Mountains that resembled a guy laying down.


Most of the Belize houses looked like this one.


Our excursion for the day was cave tubing down a lazy river. We tubed for about a mile through 2 stunning caves. It was a lazy day and there were several groups but we enjoyed it all. Most of the pictures are from a CD we bought. I decided to leave the small camera in a locker thinking I would get it wet somehow. Funny thing was that it broke shortly after we were done tubing anyway. Glad it was the cheap camera. I guess that was our only hiccup on this trip.











Belize was nice relaxing day. The people were very nice and we had a great time shopping and getting to know their country better. A couple other facts that our guide told us. Did you realize that cashews in their shell right off the tree are poisonous to us? Also, their oranges were engineered to be more of an orange color so that we would buy more. Other way of saying it, most oranges aren't really as orange in color originally.

0 comments: