Oct 23, 2008

32

Made it through another year. Looks like they are starting to really fly by now. I have been thinking about what I wanted to post about my life over the last few weeks and I can't say I have any more structure than my normal ramblings.
On her birthday, Amanda talked about how blessed she has been. I think it is easy to get busy and forget to take a minute to reflect on the blessings of a year. So I am taking a cue from you little sis.
The year started off great with a surprise party last year from friends in Charlotte. I told Nikki last night I would give anything to see the people that sat around that table today. Most were from the office and this year has really reinforced how much those guys and gals have been my family over the last few years. Birthdays aren't the same unless we are making cards on Vinnies' napkins for people. At that time, we knew the fun was about to start with our anticipation of moving to London. Timing for a move was perfect in my personal life, b/c there wasn't a better person to experience all of this with than Nicole and I wouldn't or couldn't have made this far without her. We are truly 2 peas in a pod. Christmas last year was one of my favorites ever. Getting to see Amanda's kids grow up is a lot of fun and we can't wait to see them this year. A new tradition was started with x-mas with Nikki's family. I don't think I have ever felt as welcomed as I have with them. And this year we get to experience a new kitchen. Woohoo. The momentum picked up on the move shortly after x-mas. For some reason, I enjoyed the insanity of it all. So we set up temp shop here and then started our travels. There have been a lot of good memories created this year with our new adventures. Crufts Dog show, Dublin, Scotland, New England, the British Open, England day trips, Egypt, Portugal and more of Spain were all new to us and we had a blast. Throw in some return trips to Paris, New York, Greece and around London and it is amazing that we fit as much in to a year. The best part of these trips were the ones that we had friends and family on. Rachel, Amanda/Glenn, and Cary/Justin made our journeys oh so much sweeter and there is still time if anyone wants to return for some more fun. I also got to see or hear from some old friends and made a couple new ones, which was a pleasant surprise. Almost 75% of my last year has been spent abroad. Like I said I am glad I have Nikki here with me to help me through the struggles, but talking with the people back home has also made it easier. I know I live a privileged life and how hard I have worked to enjoy the trips, concerts, shows and just life in general. But on my day I do want to say thanks to all the people that surround me that truly enrich my life and make this road I am on oh some more much enjoyable.
As much as I like to reflect, I also love to dream (probably more if you ask Nikki). Moving back is approaching. We'll also get to see a historic appointment, if all goes right, in the next few months. The holidays, as I mentioned, will be wonderful. We have already laid out the groundwork for about 5 trips next year. Details are available for anyone that would want to come along. I want to spend more time with friends and family in my next year. It'll be fun to get back to sharing our sorted tales. Plus it will be nice to get back to some American work. So I don't see any let up in my next year, but it all looks exciting.
This year has been a great one, even with all the draining situations. But I can't wait to see the next couple chapters in my life, b/c they appear quite bright.
See you all soon and we'll have some good times when I do.
daron

1 comments:

Mom said...

Oh my...I did not know it was your birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I read your blog, it was really nice. I enjoy them a lot. I hope you had/have a good time on your Birthday. We miss both of you,
Love, Colleen (Mom), Pat and Rachel
HAPPY, HAPPY BIRHTDAY !!!!!!!