We try to get out a bit over the weekends here since the weather is fairly nice now and there is tons to do. Usually we hit a park, a market, a museum or just stroll through some neighborhoods. We decided to have varying experiences this weekend.
The first part was a brief excursion to Hyde Park to see the yearly Pavilion project at the Serpentine Gallery. This year's project was designed by Frank Gehry. I have now seen at least 5 of his projects in person and I have to say the use of wood reminded me of some of his earlier work that I enjoyed so much. London embraces architecture and the design community which is a pleasant environment to live in.
The second part was going to see Batman the Dark Knight. Not sure that I bubbled over as much as some of the reviews I have read, but it was a very enjoyable movie. It will be interesting to see what happens during award season with Heath Ledger. I will reserve my vote until I can see the rest of the year shape up. But overall the movie is definitely something to see.
The third part was a trip out to the O2 - Millennium Dome to catch some of the Red Bull Air Race. (Do a general web search for it in order to see some real pictures). I knew this event was going to overshadow other forms of racing I had seen, but this was incredible. It was almost a fantasy meet reality type moment. We could not believe some of the tricks and speeds that the planes were taking around the course.
The final part was to head up to Greenwich Observatory where the Prime Meridian Line occurs. This place is so steeped in history. All the sailors used to set their clocks and such by the big red ball that drops at 1.00. There is a decent Observatory here and museums related to time keeping and Maritime history.
We do realize that we are living a big dream this year. Really this was just a normal weekend for us. The real cool thing is that we only spent money on the movie. Its good to have such a fulfilling weekend at a good price.













0 comments: