The chilly rain on Saturday had me reflecting on one of our sunnier trips this year. Well, that and the fact that we are in the midst of planning our first week long trip of the year. I bet it may have a few beaches and warm weather in it.
When we realized we were headed back to Europe, one of the first things we said was "hey we get to go to Greece again". We really enjoyed our day on Santorini last fall. Our cruise through the Greek Isles was canceled and by the time I knew of its canceling, I had already arranged a surprise to the end of the trip for Nicole's birthday. So I scrambled a bit and found a beach resort outside of Athens for us. Vouliagmeni is a lovely, little seaside town with perfect beach access and several restaurants. We really enjoyed the tranquility of the place.
So the surprise portion of the trip was that I had arranged for a weekend trip to Cairo after the short stay at the resort. Cairo was definitely something to remember. I believe it made us even more sympathetic to certain situations in the world. The city was overcrowded, poor, run down, heavily polluted and quite hectic, but there were several bits of charm to the city and steeped in so much history. We took in the sights around the town such as Memphis, Sakkara, and Giza. The Egyptian Museum was also a huge highlight of our world travels. We thoroughly enjoyed this short trip and I believe it reminded to be thankful for our upbringing.











0 comments: