If you know me for any time at all, you'll realize how much I love animals and how they tend to relax me. Part 1 of my birthday (hint, hint) gift from Nikki was a trip to the zoo slightly north of London. It is a little cumbersome getting there and back (bus, tube, train, cab, zoo, bus, bus, train, tube, bus), but it is well worth it and we had great weather.
The park was the first of its type in Europe and it sits on 600 acres overlooking a scenic valley, see the penguin pics for the view. The park itself reminded me of the one in Asheboro (which I want to take Dekan/Kaylie to next year Amanda), but this one was probably a little better. They had all your typical animals and most could be viewed with ease. Some were quite lazy and enjoying the sun. The cheetahs didn't cooperate much, shucks because they were beautiful. The park lets wallabies, small deer and maras run free (see pic of them with Nikki). They had tons of maras. The maras just hung out wherever they wanted. I think the zoo has taken pride with perserving different types of Rhinos in the past. They definitely had the most I had seen anywhere. Also they had quite a few babies of many types. Look at the closeup at the Rhino, I wish the baby would have stuck its head out a bit. The giraffe baby was a nervous type, only 6 weeks old. The first Rhino chased the small train we were on. And the elephant was just running from parent to parent. Yep relaxing and enjoyable.
All in all we had a great, stress free day out. I have one more post of a special exhibit they have at the zoo to post in a second.


















0 comments: